A Comprehensive Guide to Moving
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
1. Check out your new city. Ahead of determining to move anywhere, it’s always a good notion to visit your new community. Sure, you can head to all the sights, but don’t only visit as a vacationer. Drive through subdivisions. Take note of where super markets, filling stations and schools are situated. Think about your everyday life and how it might transfer to this different area.
2. Investigate schools. Whenever you happen to be touring your new area, pinpoint the schools which your children will be enrolled in. Take a look at the bordering subdivisions as well as do a little online research to determine how the public schools rank along with what private school choices are accessible in the community.
3. Create a moving budget. Let’s be honest, moving isn’t inexpensive. Even DIY choices come with a hefty price. And should you be moving a long distance, a professional mover in El Paso will definitely make the task less hectic. Remember to incorporate some additional for unanticipated expenditures, because they commonly seem to arise. In the event that you are moving for a job, talk with your employer to ascertain if any of your moving expenses might be covered.
4. Find a place to live. In the event that you have children and have investigated what school you would like them to attend, your options of a location in which to live have probably been reduced some. But, regardless, a real estate agent can guide you through the home hunting process. A qualified real estate agent will show you properties in the choice location and be able to answer any concerns about the neighborhoods.
5. Examine moving companies. Choosing an honest professional mover in El Paso is crucial for your move. Conduct your research by checking Google reviews and also the BBB scores. Talk to other people who have moved fairly recently and find out what moving company they used. Obtain several estimates from different movers to evaluate. Ask questions in the event you don’t fully understand anything on the quotation and make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples. Remember, if a quote appears too good to be true, this may be a warning sign.
6. Select a moving date. In the event that you are planning to move in the middle of the summer, you will need to get with your moving company in El Paso to verify your preferred dates as far in advance as you possibly can. Summertime is considered peak season for moving, hence days fill up swiftly. On the other hand, should you be wishing to move over the winter or early spring, you might have your choice of dates and may even wind up expending a little less. You will regularly pay a premium for moving throughout peak season.
7. Begin obtaining your moving supplies. By simply acquiring boxes right now, you could be a little step ahead when it comes time to pack. You can buy boxes from your local moving company or from the majority of big box stores. Don’t forget other moving products, such as tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, etc.
8. Have a plan for packing. Before you actually conduct any packing, think of your plan. It may be beneficial to check your items ahead of time and determine what you are planning to take with you and what you don’t require anymore. Have a yard sale or donate to a charity the items you don’t want to move. After that, you can start packing non-essential things including basement and attic belongings as well as out-of-season items. After that, move on to stuff that you won’t require for the following couple of weeks. Hold out until the days leading up to moving day to pack items which you make use of regularly. Make sure and ask your moving company if there are items which they can’t haul inside the moving van, such as live plants, combustible things and perishable food. You should come up with alternate measures for these things.
9. Pack your suitcases, as well. In the event that you will be on the road for a few days along the way to your new residence, you'll need attire and toiletries for the journey. Make sure and set separate anything that you'll need along the way so that those items don’t inadvertently get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Establish travel arrangements. In case you will be driving to your new residence, prepare your path and reserve your hotel rooms in advance. Likewise, if you are flying, decide on your airline and buy your tickets. Keep in mind that you could need to stay in a hotel for a short time in your new town if your things won’t be delivered immediately.
11. Transfer memberships as well as files. If you have a health club or golf club membership, take a look at transferring them to your new town. Likewise, request your child’s school to send their records to the new school as well as for your doctors and dental office.
12. Empty your storage unit. You might as well go ahead and go through your storage unit, too, and get rid of all things that you don’t want. Over and above that, be sure and tell the managers of the unit that you are moving your things out and contact them yet again once you have vacated the area.
13. Forward your mail. Nowadays, it is simple to forward your snail mail to your new home address. Simply go on to the USPS webpage and submit the necessary information. This is usually a super easy step, nevertheless it’s commonly forgotten, therefore we wanted to mention it.
14. Confirm your moving date with your mover. You are likely to hear from your moving company in El Paso several days or even a week ahead of your move date, although if you haven’t, at this moment is a good time to go forward and contact them and make certain that your move dates still match up with what they have on their schedule for you. Last minute itinerary changes aren't enjoyable for anybody, therefore it’s usually in your best interest to make sure all the details to make certain everybody is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this step is very important because you don’t want to be moving out of your old residence in the dark or moving into your new residence without heat or air conditioning. Make contact with your present and also future energy providers and figure out what you need to do so that you can guarantee an effortless changeover.
16. Schedule a move-out cleaning. After you have everything moved out of your old home, you will likely be too exhausted to want to clean. There are cleaning services which focus on empty residences so take into consideration hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let other people know your new address. This step could possibly be undertaken when you arrive at your new residence, too. However you will want your family and friends to have your new home address. Think about mailing out a change of address card or at a minimum an e-mail to let everyone know that you've moved.
18. Swap contact information with your moving van driver. Once all items have been loaded up and the moving truck is getting ready to set off, make sure and ask the driver for the ETA to your new residence and for his cell phone number. Likewise provide him your phone number. You need a method to stay in touch when everybody is traveling.
19. Set up a handyman. Be sure and find an experienced handyman after you move to assist with work like replacing light fixtures, making basic maintenance tasks or hanging artwork on the walls.
20. Register to vote and acquire a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration soon once you move is smart so that you can vote in any upcoming elections. Your community library or post office can typically provide additional details of how to register. Furthermore, obtaining a new license is important after you have moved to a new state. Look at your local DMV webpage to ensure that you have all of the required documents before you decide to wait in line, since requirements vary from one state to another.
Are you ready to move?
A-1 Freeman Moving Group in El Paso would like to assist. Simply get in touch today to get started with your free in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote