Factors that Affect Your Moving Estimate
If you’re relocating, you presumably have a lot of considerations—and a lot of expenses. The last thing you want are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need to hire an experienced and creditable moving company who will help you to uncoverways to reduce your moving costs, and who will supply you an accurate estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find a Great Company for Your Move in El Paso
For starters, you need to know not every moving company is identical. Some are experienced, reliable and honest—others aren’t. According to Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can locate a reputable company to help you move by simply doing a little groundwork. You can, for starters, check their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and search online ratings and complaints.
You should also check out their website—the best movers are often recipients of recognized awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often times post these awards on their site.
How to Interpret the Factors of Your Moving Costs in El Paso
Many determinants affect the cost of your move. For example, what you pay will be based in part on things like the total weight of your possessions and the mileage to your new residence. There are several other aspects, however, which will affect the amount of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Keep in mind, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Obviously, they’ll require more time if you ask them to pack your belongings. You can save money by packing some or all your things yourself. You can decrease costs more by disassembling large pieces of furniture rather than having the mover do it for you. Finally, you’ll pay more for certain kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if items like artwork or a grandfather clock need crating, your cost will be more.
- Poor accessibility to your pick-up or drop-off location in El Paso: If your current or future residence is in an area which impedes access for a tractor trailer truck (for instance, due to a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers must find an alternate means to get belongings out of your old home or to your new one. In this case, they might need to use smaller trucks to gain access. In this case, you will need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The cost of your move will also be more expensive if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which the movers need to maneuver your belongings up or down. You may also have to pay a long-carry fee if the span from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is greater than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your items don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger may be needed to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the more prevalent reasons for increased costs. If you must put into storage some or all your things at the carrier’s warehouse because your new residence is not ready to be occupied, you’ll need to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the most busy moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will cost more. You can save money if it’s possible to execute your move from September to May. You will also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for integrity, accuracy and candor by mistake—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working hard to secure that trust. The most critical thing you can do to ensure a safe move and lower your costs is to identify the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work day in and day out to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.