El Paso Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to El Paso

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either close by or nationwide requires a great deal of planning and organization, and quite a few folks fail to round up the correct records ahead of time. Here is a brief reference guideline for the various significant documents that you'll want no matter whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to El Paso.

Let's face it, it isn't like you need a passport and a work visa to move over the state line, however when you have assembled your entire life records together to cross the border those are roughly the only things you won't need. And how our brains function, you might anticipate to need all of this certification for a cross-country move, however if your move is geographically nearby--from Memphis just over the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it might come as a shock that you'll require all of the files.

Here are files you will almost certainly have to keep on hand while moving, and approaches to acquire them when they have expired or perhaps you've misplaced your original copies.

Driver's License

Despite the fact that driver's licenses are not good for federal recognition for much longer, you still have to have a active one--you need to have it at any rate, however if it expired a couple of weeks or perhaps months in the past and you figured since you are moving why bother, go make the effort. When you have to register at the airport, rent a car, open a bank account, or execute life in general, you need an up-to-date driver's license to accomplish this. If you are in a state where you cannot get your driver's license from the local Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper back up of your new driver's license to utilize in front of the printed version arriving in the mailbox; this can be acceptable identification for a period of a couple of weeks.


Should you be moving for a new job, chances are very good that you will have to document US citizenship before you get started. You'll be able to renew it by mail when you meet particular requirements--your name hasn't changed, your last one had been issued no greater than fifteen years in the past, that you were a minimum of sixteen at that time, among others--but if not, you will need to make application for a new one in person. You can ask for an expedited passport if required however expect you'll pay an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everyone in your family for your move to El Paso. If you can't place your hands on your original copies and you reside in the area or parish whereby they happened to be issued, an easy trip to the county offices will take care of it. If you had been born somewhere else, apply for the copy through that area. Every location differs, thus consider an online search with regard to the county records where you were born to get the specific details to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate. There is usually a minimal fee involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a reproduction, observe the very same procedure you would with the birth certificate. A family Bible or document from your place of worship is not a suitable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your household needs to have a social security number as well as a card; if you cannot put your hands on the cards you'll want to acquire replacements at the earliest opportunity. You can begin the task online, and send in the supporting records, or alternatively you can go to the closest Social Security Administration office with your papers. Copies--even notarized ones--aren't acceptable. You'll need picture identification and evidence of citizenship, consequently take a current driver's license and / or passport, school, employee, or armed service ID card, or a medical insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You'll have to register your motor vehicles in your new town and state, consequently bring your existing registration cards and proof of insurance protection to the nearby BMV as quickly as possible right after your move to El Paso. Within a different state you will get a whole new license plate and tag; if your move was within the same state your current license plate and tag are good, however your insurance premiums could change.

Medical and Immunization Records

Should you have children, their new schools will require proof of immunization prior to enrollment. Possessing duplicates of all the family medical files helps when you have initial visits with new physicians.

Get all of your files together as swiftly as you can in front of your move to El Paso and keep them together. Since you will need original copies of most items, simply set everything within a file folder and keep it along with you or in a safe spot during the actual move--this is one thing you won't want to lose.

Should you be wanting to move to El Paso, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group help. Contact us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distant move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)