Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to El Paso

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either nearby or across the country requires a great deal of coordination along with organization, and quite a few people don't round up the proper papers in advance. The following is a brief reference plan on many of the significant documents that you will need whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to El Paso.

Let's face it, it's not like you have to have a passport along with a work visa to move across the state line, however after you've gotten all of your life documents together to go over the border those are close to the only important documents you don't need. And how our minds work, you might be ready to need all this documentation for a cross-country move, but if your move is geographically nearby--from Memphis only beyond the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, as an illustration, it could come as a surprise that you must have all those files.

These are the records you're going to almost certainly need to keep convenient while moving, and the way to acquire them if they've expired or you have misplaced your original copies.

Driver's License

Regardless that driver's licenses are not acceptable for federal identification for much longer, you will still need a active one--you ought to have it regardless, but if it expired a few weeks or even a long time ago and you decided as you are moving why bother, go take the time. If you must check in at the airport, reserve a vehicle, open up a bank account, or execute life generally, you should have a current driver's license to do this. In case you are in a state where you are unable to obtain a driver's license through the local Tag Agency same day, request a paper back up of your new license to make use of in front of the printed version coming in the mailbox; this can be adequate identification for a period of about three weeks.


If you're moving for a new position, the probability is very good that you will have to document US citizenship prior to getting started. It is possible to renew it by mail when you meet specific factors--your name has not changed, your previous one has been issued no greater than fifteen years previously, you were at least 16 during the time, among others--but otherwise, you will need to make application for a new one in person. You may apply for an expedited passport if necessary but be prepared to spend an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everybody in the household for your move to El Paso. If you can't place your hands on your original copies and you live in the area or parish whereby they happened to be distributed, an easy stop by at the county offices will take care of it. If you had been born in another place, apply for the duplicate through that area. Every place differs, thus take a crack at an internet search with regard to the county records where you were born to obtain the precise details to acquire a certified copy of your birth certificate. There is usually a moderate cost involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a reproduction, observe the same technique you would for the birth certificate. A household Bible or document from the religious organization will not be a suitable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everybody in your family will need to have a social security number and a card; if you're unable to place your hands on them you're going to need to acquire replacements as soon as possible. You can start the job online, and send in the supporting files, or you can proceed to the nearest Social Security Administration office with your papers. Copies--even notarized ones--will not be acceptable. You'll need photo identification and evidence of citizenship, consequently take an up-to-date driver's license or passport, school, employee, or military ID card, or a medical insurance card.

Vehicle Registration

You're going to need to register your motor vehicles in your new town and state, therefore bring your latest registration cards and proof of insurance protection to the area BMV as soon as possible right after your move to El Paso. Within a different state you will get a new license plate and tag; in case your move was within the same state your license plate and tag are fine, but your insurance charges could change.

Health and Immunization Documents

Should you have young ones, their new schools will have to have evidence of immunization ahead of enrollment. Possessing copies of the many family medical records will help when you've got initial visits with new health professionals.

Assemble all of your files together as quickly as you can in front of your move to El Paso and keep them together. Considering that you will need original copies of many things, simply place everything inside a file folder and keep it along with you or in a safe and secure place throughout the actual move--this is something you don't want to misplace.

When you're ready to move to El Paso, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Contact us right now to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote